You can probably tell by now that I REALLY want to do a journal... but I REALLY don't have anything to say! I have tried my whole life to write in a diary/journal and get about a week into it and think "WHY?!" Don't like that much "self focus"!!
I was thinking about all of the above last week and I was reminded "to seek ye first, the kingdom of God"... I don't do that very well either! Sure, I seek (some) but certainly not FIRST. OUCH! So, I decided then and there to make an art journal of books of the Bible. I ordered new pads of paper to do it and they came in today... so, here is my first...James, Chapter 1.
I not really certain why I started with James...except it probably is one of my favorites. It is the "meat" of how to live a life of righteousness...and I tend to camp there a lot.
I just started, one verse at a time and hoped I would have enough room to get through the chapter! It was close...I may have done some things a little different with more room...but that's okay...I accomplished what I set out to accomplish....1 chapter, 1 page. I wonder if anyone else can "read" it. HA! The good news is, I can... and it is forcing me to THINK about each verse. MUCH needed discipline!
AND, I had FUN!
I finished all of James last night...
One thing I did that I would recommend if you want to try something like this...
I printed each chapter out and tape it to the back of the previous page so that I could take my pad and pencil with me everywhere and draw when I could. I drew the horse and boat while sitting in my car waiting for a friend I was picking up at the airport.... no wasted time.
- - Read the whole chapter first, not just one verse at a time.
- - I used ZERO visual references, it was all from my head....soooooo, there are things that really aren't great representations of what they are.... Like chapter 3:4.... the thing in the water is SUPPOSE to be a rudder... a friend let me know quick, that is not what a rudder looks like... oops... well, its a rudder to me...
- - Every chapter was a little different... For chapter 3 I tried to incorporate the verse number into the drawing...so I can now look at it and know exactly what verse it represents...I like that...but I gave up on that by chapter 4... In chapter four there were main "word" ideas ... and by chapter 5 I was drawing stuff I never dreamed I could! Hummmm....He does indeed "fill in the ability gap"!!!
- - I now know why I started with James... first, James was a very visual writer! Almost every verse could be drawn... second, I NEEDED to know what it said!
- - I am AMAZED at how much I can remember of James now, and what I learned while meditating on it one verse at a time. I came away saying...WOW! I'm not "there" yet...gotta WATCH WHAT I SAY!!!
- - The last couple of days I have been tempted to spend on things I don't need...but really want...and my little picture of the girl praying for $ with wrong motives, and the self-indulgent fat man pops in my brain... NOPE not gonna give way to temptation!
This was an amazing exercise! I totally recommend that you give it a try. No excuses! I started saying "but I can't draw"...I really wish I could make you understand how much I don't believe I can draw....and so I don't. Okay, I'm pretty good at Pictionary,but that's about it. You may not have noticed, but by the last chapter, my drawing, and ideas got better... I never looked at anything for reference, I just sat on my sofa and drew ... THAT is a perfect example of God filling in the gaps ...where we are weak He takes over!